I have some doubts about dumping disc with 1 data track and 1 audio track that the guide doesn't explain.
-how to detect the gap manually?
-how to add that gap to the audio track? the SAT dumping guide talks about the command "fix track 2.bat" to fix the audio track in this situations... so, this command adds 2 sec of silence to the audio track? it's ok to use that tool for other systems too?

Thks in advance smile

"Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky?"

RetroGamer wrote:

-how to detect the gap manually?

Only by subs. You can try to use CloneCD, though, it usually detects the gaps properly in this case.

The best way to tell what the gap is for these discs is to count how many sectors you had to go back from the start of track 2 until you saw the garbage data. If you went back 150 sectors then it's a 2 second gap, 225 sectors then 3 seconds, ect...

It's not the best way, especially if there are data sectors in pregap due to a mastering error (see Gale Racer or Gunbird). I'm sure there's enough potentially bad PSX dumps already due to this logic and I want to preserve the Saturn section from such dumps with 'assumed' gaps.

Haldrie wrote:

The best way to tell what the gap is for these discs is to count how many sectors you had to go back from the start of track 2 until you saw the garbage data. If you went back 150 sectors then it's a 2 second gap, 225 sectors then 3 seconds, ect...

This way can be used, but by experience users.

PX-760A (+30), PX-W4824TA (+98), GSA-H42L (+667), GDR-8164B (+102), SH-D162D (+6), SOHD-167T (+12)

I've just named 2 titles, where this 'method' doesn't give a proper result (experienced users will get the wrong result as well).

If you have a (real) Plextor drive you can use PerfectRip, it should detect the gap properly.

But aside from that, this is a real annoyance. Has anyone tried to contact Andre Wiethoff and tell him about this issue? Perhaps he'd be willing to fix it...

He is working on the program again, he just recently released beta 5. He might put more effort into fixing the bug as he said he wants to get some issues fixed before next release.

Three years and still going strong.

F1ReB4LL wrote:

I've just named 2 titles, where this 'method' doesn't give a proper result (experienced users will get the wrong result as well).

F1ReB4LL, if you can calculate the last used data sector + add the postgap, you will see that there exactly 151 sectors pregap for "Gale Racer" and 152 sectors pregap for "Gunbird" Track02, and that without any sub analysis !!!

PX-760A (+30), PX-W4824TA (+98), GSA-H42L (+667), GDR-8164B (+102), SH-D162D (+6), SOHD-167T (+12)

Thks to all of you

F1ReB4LL wrote:

It's not the best way, especially if there are data sectors in pregap due to a mastering error (see Gale Racer or Gunbird). I'm sure there's enough potentially bad PSX dumps already due to this logic and I want to preserve the Saturn section from such dumps with 'assumed' gaps.

So we should check the whole gap with sector view in raw mode to verify if there's data?

and what about the other question? smile

"Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky?"

iR0b0t wrote:
F1ReB4LL wrote:

F1ReB4LL, if you can calculate the last used data sector + add the postgap, you will see that there exactly 151 sectors pregap for "Gale Racer" and 152 sectors pregap for "Gunbird" Track02, and that without any sub analysis !!!

It's wa-ay easier to look into subs than counting all those LBAs.

RetroGamer wrote:

So we should check the whole gap with sector view in raw mode to verify if there's data?

RetroGamer wrote:

-how to add that gap to the audio track? the SAT dumping guide talks about the command "fix track 2.bat" to fix the audio track in this situations... so, this command adds 2 sec of silence to the audio track? it's ok to use that tool for other systems too?

First of all, you should check the real gap size in the subs (at least, dump the CD with CloneCD and look into its generated .cue). Then, you should look manually at the gap to check, if it's really consist of zeroes. The gap in this case can be not only 00:02:00, it can be 00:01:74, so you shouldn't just always add 2 secs of silence.

I noticed that if we scan the data track with CDmage BEFORE resizing we get the correct amount of sectors to cut.
for this to work the image has to be error free, this worked for me in my Sat and MCD dumps in PSX this usually doesn't work because psxtools needs to fix the damaged sectors.
I'm not saying this is a way to detect the gaps, it's more like a verification smile