Hello there,

this may be a noob question, because I'm new to this area, but I don't think I'm a noob, actually, so really just a very brief description will do and be greatly appreciated!

When I check this online redump.org list, for example this game:
http://redump.org/disc/633/

It says what crc / md5 shall the original copy have.

So if I have some image file on my hard drive, how do I check whether it matches the same numbers?

What app do I use to tell me this info about my image?

Thanks a lot guys and keep up the good work!

RiMMER

You can install HashTab. Makes it easy to compare. smile

3 (edited by RiMMER 2009-04-01 14:54:20)

Thanks for the answer, but If I get it right, HashTab only shows crc of a file itself, but redump.org database states crcs of every (data / audio) track inside the image file. How do they do this ?

We do extract the image into its parts. For each physical track on the disc we create a physical file. All the data to burn the correct image is stored in the cue file.
You would need to split your image into the parts using the cue (which you can download from redump.org) and some cue tool (google is your friend).
The other way to split your image into parts is using a hexeditor.

If the image contains of audio tracks though, it is most likely they will not match because of offset issues. x

5 (edited by topkat 2009-04-09 10:39:06)

There are some ways to check a dump agains the database.

a) To quckly check files you dumped by yourself (using the guide), use some kind of hash-calculation-tool like 'hashtab' and then lookup the game in the db

b) When you downloaded a dump somewhere off the web in a compressed format, open up the archive in winrar. There's a colum with the crc-values of the contained files. Again, lookup the game in the db.

c) If you have a bunch of files to check, get the latest dat-file and let clrmame do the work for you.

d) When you got an archive with z7 and ape files in it, you first need to convert them back to the native bin/cue-format. Lookup (Un)pack-iso on google.

e) If you have a dump with just a single bin-file, you most likely need to split it off first. Somewhere here in the forum there's a guide how to convert images from various sources to redump ones.