Topic: Some Newcomer Questions
I'm new to this project and want to contribute soon.
I have some PAL-Games lying around (original, of course) that arn't in the db yet.
Before I start dumping I have a few question:
1) What exactly is EDC? I guess it's something like "Error Detection Code'? As far as I know, the PSX doesn't use bad sectors for copy protection, what's the deal with EDC and PSX-Games?
2) There are some disc with a data track (track 1) and an audio-track (track 2) with an length of 03:32:00. The crc of the audio-track is 7976083e. The same track occurs among different games, e.g.
- Breath of Fire IV (E) [SLES-03552]
- Music - Music Creation for the PlayStation (E) [SLES-01356]
- Dino Crisis (E) [SLES-02207]
and some others. The track actually has no audio in it, it seems to be completly zero (silence). What's the propuse of this track?
3) Why not simply use some kind of image-format (like alcohol or clonecd or the like) instead of the tricky and time-consuming dumping-process? I dumped a game already in the db, and got matching hashes. Then I created an image using the lates DT of the same game. Afer that, I compared both, the dump and the image, and they seem to be identical. I you are interesset, I can post some details.
4) Before dumping I check discs with VSO Inspector, an freeware disc-testing app. On every discs, there are some errors in the first sectors (0 - 16). Is this the area where the copy protection is stored? Nevertheless I got perfect dumps with the same hashed as stated in the db, so i guess that's normal?!
Hope these question aren't too stupid