Topic: Steam?

Shouldn't steam be added as description of the game version? http://redump.org/disc/15966/

Re: Steam?

It should be as protection if you ask me. some allready in the db have steam removed from the comments  hmm

Retired

The dump you linked was made from an original media. I don't know how is steam supposed to describe any of that.

As from what I understand, redump project is not about playing games, but about preserving discs. What if someone buys Civilization 5 just to dump it and preserve it in their shelf, never actually installing and playing it? Where in that process, and how, is steam involved?

As far as the theory of redump goes, steam has nothing to do with it. If you think otherwise, prove it, please.

Perhaps we should start labeling the games that support Windows 7 as well.  wink

Better to split the IBM/PC section to DOS/Win3.x/Win95/Win98/WinXP/Vista/Win7/Linux/whatever

Or just add "Operating system(s)" as a new field to the DB entry... Along with "Copy protection", "Layer break" and so on. I've suggested this to iR0b0t before but it seems he has either no time or no interest to touch the PC section atm... or maybe he already has something in the works, I don't know ^^

Better to split the IBM/PC section to DOS/Win3.x/Win95/Win98/WinXP/Vista/Win7/Linux/whatever

That would be a huge mess. Most games run under many of these operating systems.

Steam could, at least, be seen as a form of copy protection. It should be added if you ask me. All important data should be added. (Initial OS created for and such) This is a DB. That way you could determine what's different between none matching dumps. (Example: Initial release DOS, re-release created for Windows 7. See all Activision / Sierra re-releases)

Steam is a DRM, not a protection. It has nothing to do with the physical media itself.

However, I would like to see a Protection field and OS field too.

Plextor PX-760A 1.07 (+30) : Plextor PX-W5224A 1.04 (+30) : Plextor PX-W1210TA 1.10 (+99) : Plextor PX-W1610TA (+99) : Lite-On LTR-48246S (+6) : Lite-On LH-20A1H LL0DN (+6) : BenQ DW1655 BCIB (+618) :  ASUS DRW-2014L1 1.02 (+6) : Yamaha CRW-F1 (+733)

sorry for resurrecting this old thread (give me warning if you feel so), but i think i understand what MrX_Cuci wants to say.
it won't hurt to add some info in the comments section and i second his req.

older valve games are for example re-released with steam  neutral

I may not be understanding the format here, so ignore me if I'm way off base, but is the "Steam and Direct2Drive Digital Deluxe Edition", shouldn't steam just be added to edition field then?

Same with other steam discs, it'd just be put under the edition field (ie "Steam Edition"), kinda like "The LucasArts Collection" or "Best Buy Games"?

I suggest a wiki page for this matter.

When will the high council decide in this matter?

Just found this thread again. Now is the time I guess. The PC DB is getting way to big IMHO

Put it in the protection field, as we have been doing already afaik.. and if there is no protection, just don't fill the field and don't put 'None' there tongue

Yes it goes in the protection field. None of the old valve games afaik , before steam have been re-released with steam. I collect valve games too and have no such games.

In the case of CIV V then it's just a re-release. Games on steam may also use securom, tages, fade or other protections.

Plextor PX-760A 1.07 (+30) : Plextor PX-W5224A 1.04 (+30) : Plextor PX-W1210TA 1.10 (+99) : Plextor PX-W1610TA (+99) : Lite-On LTR-48246S (+6) : Lite-On LH-20A1H LL0DN (+6) : BenQ DW1655 BCIB (+618) :  ASUS DRW-2014L1 1.02 (+6) : Yamaha CRW-F1 (+733)