Firstly this is what I have done,

I got my broken xbox and have removed the lid.

Inside it is the dvdrom drive, which works, and is wired to only the power from the xbox.

The ide cable is plugged into my PC.

When I boot the PC and switch on the xbox it sees the drive. and lets me use it, pretty much the same as any drive.

But when it comes to inserting an xbox original disc, it only sees the Video partition in isobuster, and minewseeper doesn't work.

I haven't flashed the drive at all.

Is their anything I can do in the way to rip an original xbox disc, or am I just chasing pointless rainbows again.

Is their anything this drive from my xbox in my pc can do?

thanks for any info regarding this.

He who controls the SPICE... controls the UNIVERSE!
The SPICE must flow.

It doesn't automount the game partition because that's a kreon feature. However, I think the kreon firmware uses the same commands as original xbox1 drive to unlock the game partition, so what you can try the unlock command in xbox backup creator or schtrom360 and see if that works.

Wow thanks will have a look, but xbox backup creator doesnt see the drive, so I don't think that will work, but it might with schtrom360 because that see's the drive.

Would I read it with isobuster, or would minesweeper possibly work.

The SPICE must flow.

if IsoBuster works then MineSweeper should also

Neither did work, as I said xbc doesn't see the drive, and schromm v3.1 and v4.1 don't seem to have any unlock game partition options.

Maybe I'm behind the time and need new versions. I did notice support for SDG-605b in xbc, but I'm using an SDG-605f.

It doesnt say whether it is (b) or (f) on the drive itself, only within windows itself does it tell you.

Maybe now, I have a way to connect xbox drives, I could try a few didfferent SDG-605 drives and see if I have one that is a 605b.

I won't give up just yet, and if you know something I don't please let me know, thanks tossEAC. smile

The SPICE must flow.

Schtrom has an option for sending custom read commands, and the unlock command should be there

I noticed that, suppose I will try again then.

The SPICE must flow.

I have just tried unlocking the game partition, and that worked ok.

I used isobuster next, and it extracted the right amount of sectors minus the vide partition, which it didn't see.

When I joined the two isos together, the dump didn't match.

In isobuster I chose to skip errors and replace with zeroes, and apply to selection.

I chose the first unlock option in schromm, ixtreme.

Minesweeper didn't work, I presume because it didn't see the video partition, after it was unlocked with schromm.

I'm obviously doing something wrong, but I am clueless as to what.

The SPICE must flow.

Unlock state 2 is what you need.. if it only shows the game partition then it's unlock state 1. MineSweeper will fail with state 1 because the addresses inside the security sector have video partition added.

So the correct command from Kreon readme:

FF 08 01 11 xx 'Set Lock State'
xx=00 - Drive locked (no unlock state)
xx=01 - Unlock State 1 (xtreme) enabled
xx=02 - Unlock state 2 (wxripper) enabled

I'll try Unlock state 2 (wxripper) enabled and see what happens.

The SPICE must flow.

Still no joy, I tried xx=02 - Unlock state 2 (wxripper) enabled and it still didn't see the video partition in isobuster, and minesweeper didn't work. This drive I'm using is SDG-605f not SDG-605b. Will that make any difference.

[Slightly off subject] is their supposed to be a firmware for the SDG-605b that lets backups work in your XBOX rather than getting the xbox modded/soft/hartd.

The SPICE must flow.

No that firmware was never released afaik..

Anyway, I don't know why you're doing all this.. you said yourself the other day that a local shop had Samsungs for very cheap, so why not just get a new one?  hmm Or is it not because you don't have another drive to rip them?

ps. I have a Philips drive in the Xbox and it seems windows can't detect it.. apparently it's normal for this drive sad

13 (edited by tossEAC 2010-06-03 16:45:51)

I just like experimenting, and I like the xbox drives because they read discs which are difficult to read, scratched discs & dvd's with cheep dyes that don't read in certain drives.

I was thinking and still might, of asking my mate if he could make an xbox drives power lead to 4-pin molex, so I can just have the drive inside my pc without the xbox.

I have plenty of samsungs, this isn't why I wanted to try this.

I had heard about people using drives from xbox360's to dump games on their pc and just thought this would have been the way this went.

Sorry if I have wasted your time, I'm, forever curious as to what can/can't be done.

It's weird because the drive acts exactly like a PC drive, which is not what I expected at all. I would have at least thought xbox games would read no probs, since its out of an xbox, weird?

The SPICE must flow.