Hi everyone,

I'm a Frenchman living in Japan who just discovered this amazing project through Underground-Gamers.
I would like to contribute mainly with some NTSC-J PSX games. I have seen some bounties on the UG wiki and the following games (the bolded ones) should hit my mailbox in the coming days/weeks:

PSX:
Cotton Original - Fantastic Night Dreams [SLPS-02034]
Cotton Original - Fantastic Night Dreams [SuperLite 1500 Series] [SLPM-86461]
Finger Flashing [SLPS-02158]
Hot Blooded Family (Thermal Blood - Parent & Child) - Nekketsu Oyako [SLPS-00006]
Kakuge-Yaro - Fighting Game Creator [SLPS-02595]
Oracle no Houseki - Jewels of the Oracle [SLPS-00240]

Silver Jiken
Super Robot Taisen Alpha Gaiden [Limited Edition] [SLPS-03147]
Tobal 2 [SCPS-45025]
Tobal 2 [Legendary Hits] [SLPM-87406]
Tron ni Kobun [2 discs]     

IBM PC:
Rockman Dash

Provided the serials match, are these still of interest to the project?

I have read the guide for PSX Dumping and I can't wait to try my hands at this. However, I still have some questions:For instance, how do you acquire the "Dumper" status? What's the best way to rip IBM PC games etc...  Any other information is welcome since I'm a total newbie in this field!

When my finances get better, I could go after the two Cottons, Tron ni Kobun and Silver Jiken. Likewise, if the games on this list are relevant to redump.org, I could give it a shot  smile

Thanks in advance for your feedback/answers

P.S: I hope this is the right forum to post in hmm

I can confirm the last one is at least of interest to me. :-p

To answer your other questions, you get the dumper status by dumping games - it gets assigned to you after you submit a few to the database through the forums.

The best way to rip PC games depends on if the disc has copyright protections, but if it doesn't, it's done the same way a PSX game is done except for the parts that obviously only apply to PSX games. You can dump Safedisc-protected games (see this thread), but as of yet there is no Redump-approved way of dumping Securom games.

Remember, a dumpable disc is *always* of interest to Redump. Even the discs already in the database are, because dumping it again further verifies database (hence the name "Redump"). But of course, some games are of more interest than others; compared to USA and PAL dumps, there aren't a whole lot of Japanese dumps yet, so that's already enough to get me interested.

Batou wrote:

When my finances get better, I could go after the two Cottons, Tron ni Kobun and Silver Jiken. Likewise, if the games on this list are relevant to redump.org, I could give it a shot  smile

If you care, the most expensive imported Japanese games (which are cheap enough in Japan) are shmups, the most expensive PSX ones are Kyuin [SLPS-00214], Harmful Park [SLPS-00498] and Gaia Seed - Project Seed Trap [SLPS-00624].

Hey BitLooter,

Nice to see you here too tongue I think I'm starting to get the full meaning of the project. That verification part sounds especially interesting and vital to get rid of all the "bad dumps" and patched versions one can find everywhere on the net. I received confirmation that all the games I ordered have been shipped (Yes, Rockman Dash is on its way! wink ). If all goes well, I could start dumping this weekend.

F1ReB4LL, thank you for your message. Kyuin is definitely doable. (Normal and/or Best of the Best version) Gaia Seed and Harmul Park are slightly out of my reach for now hmm  (around or well above 100euros a piece even here - US$560 for a sealed copy of Harmful Pak lol ). But I'll keep an eye on them, flea markets can be full of surprises...

Batou wrote:

Hey BitLooter,
But I'll keep an eye on them, flea markets can be full of surprises...

It's an amazing feeling when one finds a rare game at a bargain price big_smile

Batou wrote:

IBM PC:
Rockman Dash

Talking about IBM PC ones - I'm sure there are lots of Japanese titles, which are uncommon outside Japan. Console ports should be interesting, IMO. For example, Nostalgia 1907 was released for both PC and Mega CD (http://vgmdb.net/album/5618 http://vgmdb.net/album/5619 - both are bonus OST CDs packed with the game), the Mega CD one is pretty common, while the PC version is almost unknown to everyone.

But the most valuable dumps would be, of course, NEC PC-98XX series titles and FM-Towns ones (like http://yahoo.jpctrade.com/yahoo/search? … auccat=0_0). They are very expensive outside of Japan ($30 to $300 per CD) and chances to see them in our db in the near future aren't so high, unfortunately.

And there's one more Japanese-only CD-based (or DVD-based?) console (can't find _any_ dumps in the net at all), which seems to be extremely cheap in Japan and can't be found at all outside it, TOMY Kiss-Site - http://yahoo.jpctrade.com/yahoo/search? … auccat=0_0

Of course, I'm not insist on anything, we will be happy to receive any submissions smile

Well, at least you can't blame me for not trying to help on the PC-98 side! tongue

The FM Towns is interesting too, of course. In fact I was thinking about buying a few of the not-so-expensive games; apparently they are just regular CDs with no protections or anything strange so they should be easy to dump.

I have a few FM Towns CD.
I'd like to dump after PSX.  lol

Hi all,

A quick word to say that all the games have arrived smile  Let the dumping begin!

And I'll see what I can do for FM-Towns, I've seen quite a few around Osaka's DenDenTown.

Being that this looks like the topic where to ask n00b questions, I'll ask: I'm new here and I still have to "learn the ropes" to everything but I'm interested in one thing: what is the sole purpose of this site? To exchange dumped games or to just collect info about dumping games?

The purpose is preservation of the data that is stored on optical media. smile

Oh I missed the intro of this discussion... finally someone who wants to dump FM-Towns games with Redump standards!

Batou, it will be good also if you can find cheap Saturn discs to grow our DB  cool

My patch requests thread
--------------------------------

Think about it as a accuraterip database for games.