hey all,

most of you already know this, but for a handful that are still not aware it is possible to play gamecube movie files on the computer, and in case of Sofdec format even convert them to xvid or any other video format

for playback of .thp movies all you need is http://www.amnoid.de/gc/thpplay1.5.zip

quite a few games use this format- from resident evil remake to mario galaxy, fire emblem, etc...

sofdec format (.sfd) can be converted to mpg using sfd2mpg and lame, unfortunately this program only works for older (dreamcast era) .sfd files

the ones on gamecube can be converted with a combination of Tmpg Enc and sfd2mpg. for some uknown reason Tmpg Enc cannot recognize the audio properly but that's where sfd2mpg comes in, it will be able to generate a .wav file and give an error on the video.

note: some .gcm files come with .tgc files inside them, they can be extracted with gc-tool and converted to .gcm. this was the case with the resident evil 4 bonus disc, the .sfd files were inside .tgc

hopefully someone finds this useful... i always wanted to create an ultimate FMV collection from my favourite games.... maybe there are others out there too big_smile

A few years back I got to extracting a few FMV from PSX and Saturn games, there were some very cool openings (Eretzvaju for example), but the hassle of ripping/converting on the slow PC I had at the time made me stop sad .
It would be so much better if those codecs were supported in ffmpeg/mplayer/etc, so we could just copy the video file and play it.

totally understand sad
that would be ideal, maybe in the near future someone will add support. we shall have to wait and see...

you know i did try the fmvs from eternal darkness and i was able to play the video files with VLC media player but no audio maybe i should go n see what i can do smile

PSX'D OFF!!