I just dumped SCAJ-30005 which is the Traditional Chinese version of SCPS-15072, with two different drives, and both return the same size and check codes. It's around 3.5 GB and shows to be a DVD-5 in MPF's log, but it must be dual layer since it has two codes on the ring (A0 and A1), and the DVD player shows the first layer at 1.2 GB.

What's going on? Looks like the dump is correct, since it found 3.5 GB and not 1.2 GB, but why isn't MPF reporting a DVD-9?

While it is true that most discs with 2 layers of ringcodes are DVD-9, it isn't always the case.  I know it is uncommon in US discs, but in European PS2 discs, it is pretty common for there to be two layers of codes, but only a DVD-5.

Woah I had no idea, thanks! Google didn't find me any answers to PS2 DVD-5 games made with 2 layers of data...

sadikyo wrote:

While it is true that most discs with 2 layers of ringcodes are DVD-9, it isn't always the case.  I know it is uncommon in US discs, but in European PS2 discs, it is pretty common for there to be two layers of codes, but only a DVD-5.

I've thought all the PS2 discs have 2 layers of ringcodes, but one of them is usually hidden under the label for DVD-5 discs? And there were experiments by scratching off the paint from the label side proving that?

F1ReB4LL wrote:
sadikyo wrote:

I've thought all the PS2 discs have 2 layers of ringcodes, but one of them is usually hidden under the label for DVD-5 discs? And there were experiments by scratching off the paint from the label side proving that?

SHHHHH!!!! Don't tell people about my horrible experiments! hahahha

LuxKiller65 wrote:

Woah I had no idea, thanks! Google didn't find me any answers to PS2 DVD-5 games made with 2 layers of data...

It isn't two layers of data.  Just has ringcodes on different levels, afaik.

Yet the game shows 1.2 GB when inserted, not 3.5, so where's that data? I have this DVD reader that doesn't support DL discs and it dumped just 1.2 GB, while a proper DVD reader dumps 3.5 GB. o_O

After closer inspection - it turns out this disc is indeed dual-layer.  Just a relatively uncommon case where it is so small yet dual-layer.  The rings certainly indicated dual-layer, but we've also seen some disc with 2 "layers" of rings but not actual dual-layer disc.  Anyway, it's a bit confusing, but the disc is in the database now

http://redump.org/disc/84627/

A request has been submitted to ir0b0t to fix this by changing DVD-5 to DVD-9.

Thanks!