Hey everyone.

there is at least 1 title in the Sega Saturn set that is so long, windows can't deal with it once it has been "properly" named:

Zoku Hatsukoi Monogatari - Shuugaku Ryokou (Japan) (Disc 4) (Daigakusei Jidai & Koukou kara Daigaku ni Agaru ma no Haruyasumi)

There are several others that have similar problems with some of their files if the folder structure is "properly" named as well.

I'm wondering, is there a way we could maybe shorten this "official" title to make it more friendly with NTFS?

I don't get notifications from this forum, and i don't often check PMs here as a result. If you need to reach me, please just email me or contact F1ReB4LL.

Maybe worth to use a folder, like, C:\1\ or, dunno, C:\Saturn\ for your images? This particular filename isn't too long.

Even then, the path is too long for Windows Explorer to deal with.

"C:\T\Zoku Hatsukoi Monogatari - Shuugaku Ryokou (Japan) (Disc 4) (Daigakusei Jidai & Koukou kara Daigaku ni Agaru ma no Haruyasumi)\Zoku Hatsukoi Monogatari - Shuugaku Ryokou (Japan) (Disc 4) (Daigakusei Jidai & Koukou kara Daigaku ni Agaru ma.bin"

is the best it could do, the " no Haruyasumi) (Track 1)" doesn't fit. Try creating that path and renaming it with F2 in Windows Explorer to see what I mean.

Why not C:\Saturn\Zoku Hatsukoi Monogatari - Shuugaku Ryokou (Japan) (Disc 4) (Daigakusei Jidai & Koukou kara Daigaku ni Agaru ma.bin

Why do you need to put it in a folder with its name, doubling the length of the file path?

5 (edited by A Murder of Crows 2019-10-16 09:11:36)

Aringon wrote:

Why not C:\Saturn\Zoku Hatsukoi Monogatari - Shuugaku Ryokou (Japan) (Disc 4) (Daigakusei Jidai & Koukou kara Daigaku ni Agaru ma.bin

Why do you need to put it in a folder with its name, doubling the length of the file path?

We aren't, but when using a rom manager like clmamepro for the dat file to do things like set name updating, you'll find that because of the title chosen in the dat, the folder is created automatically.

I don't get notifications from this forum, and i don't often check PMs here as a result. If you need to reach me, please just email me or contact F1ReB4LL.

I think it should be a feature request for rommanagers to shorten the filenames in such cases.

F1ReB4LL wrote:

I think it should be a feature request for rommanagers to shorten the filenames in such cases.

Honestly, i don't think it should be up to the rom manager.

We're the ones setting the title. If we can't commit to a title that fits within the confines of the file systems we use, there's a serious problem. If we ask the rom manager programs to shorten the file/folder names for us, there won't be any reason to expect consistency from the different programs. They could shorten the file/folder names any way they choose, leading to inconsistent results.

I think the more appropriate response is for us to decide on the proper title as well as a shortened title, then include a text file of the full title as part of the image. Those who want to deal with the ridiculously long name can fight it on their own while the rest of us breathe a sigh of relief that we can actually let a rom manager update our roms without hanging on stupidly long titles/file names.

Since I keep my stuff uncompressed I figured a workaround that maybe will help you too. I manually rename the folders and I drop any subtitles and disc titles. I also add the database entry number to find it if I need to. So you chould make it like this:

Zoku Hatsukoi Monogatari - Shuugaku Ryokou (Japan) (Disc 4) (63632) or
Zoku Hatsukoi Monogatari (Japan) (Disc 4) (63632)

When I scan with CMP I don't fix sets, untick it. That works for me.

Use the \\?\ syntax in your rom manager path. This also works for UNC paths: \\?\UNC\
https://www.emulab.it/forum/index.php?topic=4213.0

While i personally am okay with renaming the folder, i really feel it shouldn't be needed.

This particular title is simply way too long, and we should be able to make a decision here as to what it should be, not only to remain consistent with other named images, but to remain compliant within windows name protocols.

That said, i've attempted to use the \\?\x:\ workaround and it only works if you choose not to do a fix. the moment you do a fix, the folder gets renamed and the files never get seen again.