Jackal wrote:

I'm glad u found out what was going on.. I knew that leaving XBC in the background could somehow affect the dump, so that's why I included this step in the guide:

- After you closed Xbox Backup Creator, press the eject button of the drive twice so that it will remount the Xbox partitions.

Does that leave any other dumps that need to be rechecked?

I remember reading that, but nobody could explain specifically why it was needed, and I can't find anything historical where people discovered the same bug as me. It kind of seems like it mattered at one time. Actually, the partitions are unlocked as expected but the firmware is in a bad state.

Pressing the eject button twice doesn't really do anything on my drives. But actually ejecting the disc and putting it back in is enough to re-cycle the drive state and, as long as XBC isn't open, it should work properly.

I think this is worth documenting at length because it's a serious problem.

I would like to run my script against all the existing dumps in the DB to make sure there's no other dumps affected.

Jackal wrote:

I'm glad u found out what was going on.. I knew that leaving XBC in the background could somehow affect the dump, so that's why I included this step in the guide:

- After you closed Xbox Backup Creator, press the eject button of the drive twice so that it will remount the Xbox partitions.

Does that leave any other dumps that need to be rechecked?

Just bumping this...

I already went through all of _my_ dumps, but I confirmed a while ago that one of h0lylag's dumps was affected. I also found that out of coincidence, Midtown Madness 3 for Xbox happens to have zeroes right after the layerbreak. It's the only false positive that I know of.

I don't have every disc dump available to me to run my checking script, but I bet there may be at least one other game out there that needs re-dumping. If someone has a full set and can run my script against them all, that'd be good