Topic: "Dot Hack" needs to be ".hack"

Either that, or "Namco X Capcom" needs to be "Namco Cross Capcom", "Sengoku Basara X" needs to be "Sengoku Basara Cross", etc.

The reason for this is that "Dot Hack" is a pronunciation of the actual written title .hack (with the word hack intentionally lowercased every time) just like "Namco Cross Capcom" is a pronunciation of the actual written title "Namco X Capcom". ナムコ クロス カプコン, the クロス is "kurosu" which is cross. So we're using the written title in one case and the pronounced title in another. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense this way.

Unless we want to change X to Cross in all those instances... which I think is kind of stupid since that's not what's actually written... then we should just write what's written and put .hack.

Also yeah the capitalization is very purposeful, it's .hack//TITLE for the NTSC-U/C releases (whereas for NTSC-J it's .hack//Kanji so no capitalization for the second part, but it's still always lowercased .hack and that's across all different .hack titles).

Re: "Dot Hack" needs to be ".hack"

Naming a file starting with the "." char causes problems at some operating systems (i.e. "." hides files on linux/unix), so thats why it has been chosen to substitute "." with "Dot" for proper file naming.

We can have it parsed for the datfile.
If i should change it let me know.

PX-760A (+30), PX-W4824TA (+98), GSA-H42L (+667), GDR-8164B (+102), SH-D162D (+6), SOHD-167T (+12)

I apologize, I didn't know about the operating system problem.

What would it mean to parse it for the datfile?

Database title would be ".hack", inside the datfile it would be listed as "Dot Hack" for example.

PX-760A (+30), PX-W4824TA (+98), GSA-H42L (+667), GDR-8164B (+102), SH-D162D (+6), SOHD-167T (+12)

6 (edited by Egen 2015-03-23 22:41:13)

That seems like it would be good. It's what we do for anything with a colon separating a subtitle I guess?

I'm really not talking about filenames so much when I say the name should change to .hack. I mean yeah, since there are computers, certain things will have to change for filenames. But we still use colons on Redump for subtitles and then dashes in filenames, so it seems like we could do the same thing for .hack - write it like that on the database, use Dot Hack in filenames.