What gaps are detecting EAC? The vast majority of PS1 discs has only 2:00 pregaps.

On semi-vacation. MSF/AMSF to LBA/offset and viceversa calculator: link
To write properly occidental characters contained in japanese titles: screenshot
Spaces must be the fullwidth variant: link / screenshot

27 (edited by MikuroK 2012-10-30 17:33:43)

pablogm123 wrote:

What gaps are detecting EAC? The vast majority of PS1 discs has only 2:00 pregaps.

All 2 seconds, same as the DB

I edited my last post, you might miss it since we're on a new page, now

edit: actually.. it shows a 2sec pregap on the data track, but the db shows 0sec

The DB ignores the standard and imperative pregap, of at least 150 sectors, of first track, which separes lead-in zone from program area.

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/6715/pregaps.png Have your disc the same layout?

To write properly occidental characters contained in japanese titles: screenshot

pablogm123 wrote:

The DB ignores the standard and imperative pregap, of at least 150 sectors, of first track, which separes lead-in zone from program area.

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/6715/pregaps.png Have your disc the same layout?

Looks like the same disc.

You are getting CRC mismatches. Try ripping without C2 pointers, because EAC cannot handle very well: It uses on first read in order to not to read everything twice and defeating the cache, but once detected an error, EAC re-reads without taking into C2 pointers, and fails to detect constant errors which C2 pointers would detect, because a suspicious zone could return, at least 8 of 16 tries, the same erronous data. The Achilles' heel of EAC and C2.

Redump doesn't support this, in no way, but for your personal dumps you could try to rip in burst mode, playing with the read speeds. In a few of cases, burst mode works better than secure mode with these Lite-On drives.

The CRC mismatches were due to previous tests with the wrong pregap settings, so they don't mean anything.

Just finished a complete test+dump run, pic attached.

2,6,7,13,14 are not matching, though EAC only shows CRC errors for 6,7 and 13.

ugh, the log files are in UTF-16... disgusting.
http://pastebin.com/TP7ucStH (the log file)

I'll so the same tests in burst mode too, just to see what results I get.

32 (edited by pablogm123 2012-10-30 18:30:24)

When track quality for a track is <100%, there were re-reads, and EAC could obtain the same erroneous data 8, or greater, of 16 times. Try secure mode without C2 pointers, and burst. And do not enable overread if your drive cannot overread using EAC.

pablogm123 wrote:

When track quality for a track is <100%, there were re-reads, and EAC could obtain the same erroneous data 8, or greater, of 16 times. Try secure mode without C2 pointers, and burst. And do not enable overread if your drive cannot overread using EAC.

How can I check/test for overreading support? and is it not required to get all the data from the last track, in the case of a positive combined offset?

Obviously this disc won't be affected, since the last track is blank, but not many games use a blank final track.

I'll mess with no C2 pointers and burst mode now, with a problem track (6).

Any insight as to why EAC is putting the pregap at the end of track 2? it's the only reason why it's incorrect, if i move the pregrap manually, it matches.

The Detect read sample offset correction button in Offset/Speed. Overread support is nice, when your drive/soft combination supports. If not, do not enable it.

It is interesting the message "Too many samples" for track 2, which means that dumped file is bigger than expected. I would try another version of EAC. The one suggested is this:
http://redump.org/download/eac-0.99pb5.exe

Well heck, testing the problem tracks in that version of EAC now;
track 7 is taking its time, but 2 and 6 are now matching!

This is with overreading still enabled.

I'll keep playing around with this version, and post in the morning, it's almost dawn hmm

Thanks again for the help, I've learnt a bit.

Alright, I think i've got everything setup as good as it can be with my current hardware.

At this point i'm sure the errors left with Ridge Racer is down to the media quality, I'm thinking of investing in a resurfacing tool.

I've got Rollcage matching almost completely, with only track 2 not matching. Combined offset is negative (-635), and I get consistant results with 99.9%/no error reported in EAC, so I figure the drive just isn't properly reading back into the end of track 1, i'm not sure if there's anything i can do about that without a more capable drive, except maybe extracting the track out of a whole-disc image (I'll have to try that).

My freshly resurfaced MDK disc doesn't match whatsoever, I figure at this point it must be a different disc to the one currently in the DB, i'm a bit hesitant to post it as a dump though, not being able to get secure track 2's...

Thanks for the help, any ideas about getting the first audio track with my setup would be awesome, otherwise i'm sorted.

37 (edited by pablogm123 2012-10-31 19:06:26)

Unfortunately, EAC doesn't return any data of pregap of track 2, if previous track is data. You can do two things:

-Get a Renesas based drive (+667) or a Samsung based drive (+696), which can compensate that negative offset correction.

-Extract this range using IsoBuster: [Start of track 2 index 1 - 5 sectors] - [Start of track 2 index 1 + 5 sectors], and use a hex editor to copy the missing bytes. For example, copy into the clipboard the first bytes of your dump, search those bytes in the IsoBuster dump, and once you have determinated the start of track and aligned both files, copy the missing data.

Do you have Platinum releases or the original ones? I have noticed that Platinum discs, without an additional silkscreened label which somewhat protects the disc, are more fragile than original releases, because the metallic label side can be damaged easier if misshandled.

38 (edited by MikuroK 2012-10-31 19:09:19)

So is that extraction procedure the only way with EAC when the combined offset is negative?

As for editions, these three particular discs are all originals, I have the packaging and manuals for them with me, too.

Wait no, Ridge Racer is platinum, but I think the scratches are the biggest issue.

It's an EAC fault, which ignores the index 00 of a given track if previous track is data, and replace it with digital silence. If combined offset is negative you would like that EAC could rescue the lost samples pushed to index 00, but EAC doesn't do this, unfortunately. So, if you cannot run PF, the only options are the described.

40 (edited by MikuroK 2012-10-31 19:26:01)

pablogm123 wrote:

It's an EAC fault, which ignores the index 00 of a given track if previous track is data, and replace it with digital silence. If combined offset is negative you would like that EAC could rescue the lost samples pushed to index 00, but EAC doesn't do this, unfortunately. So, if you cannot run PF, the only options are the described.

I did as you suggested, more or less, I extracted the last 5 sectors of track 1, then copied the non-zero data from the end of it and joined it up just before where the zeros end at the start of track 2, and now it matches, so i have a complete and matching dump of Rollcage!

edit: what is PF, by the way? I misread it earlier as PR (perfectrip, from what i could tell).

PerfectRip, it's a good ripping program. Unfortunately, it needs a real Plextor drive for data+audio discs. For pure audio discs, any drive which can read directly the lead-out, if offset correction of drive is positive, is fine for PerfectRip.

pablogm123 wrote:

PerfectRip, it's a good ripping program. Unfortunately, it needs a real Plextor drive for data+audio discs. For pure audio discs, any drive which can read directly the lead-out, if offset correction of drive is positive, is fine for PerfectRip.

Alright, sounds nice, but doesn't really apply to me, I almost never dump pure audio cd's, and it doesn't seem to work in Wine anyway (can't detect my drives, there could be a workaround, haven't tried anything).