1 (edited by boringhexi 2020-06-24 21:05:21)

(repost from my account request thread)

Gitaroo Man One (redump page). Ring code photo here

Ring code:
Mastering Code: SLPM-62062    1
Mastering SID Code: IFPI L274 
Toolstamp: (none)
Mould SID Code: IFPI 4558

Edit: adding back the rest of my previous post now that someone referred to it:

Also, regarding the name of the game, should it be "Gitaroo Man One" or "Gitaroo Man Wan"? There isn't a clear-cut case for one over the other, and both names are used throughout the internet. I don't have an answer, but I may as well list what I know in case someone knows better.

• There is no official English title since it's a Japanese game.

• "ワン" can be pronounced "wan" or "one".

• "Wan" is the sound made by a barking dog, and this is shown happening on the game's cover art with the word "ワン".

• The red text on this page notes that the article mistakenly called the game "ギタルマン1" and that the official title is "ギタルマン ワン" after the sound made by the barking dog.

• Internally, one of the game files calls the game 'Guitaroo-Man "One"' (including the quotes around "One"). But "Guitaroo" is not the correct spelling of the official English name. (Similarly, the file is called ONEDEF.TXT)

• In any case, it's likely the ambiguity is an intentional pun. (Game is a demo similar to a musical maxi single --> Single --> One.)

• The official guidebook uses the phrase "Puma's Wan Point Lesson," probably as a pun on "One Point Lesson"

Gitaroo Pals Gitaroo Man hacking and appreciation Discord

boringhexi wrote:

Also, regarding the name of the game, should it be "Gitaroo Man One" or "Gitaroo Man Wan"? There isn't a clear-cut case for one over the other, and both names are used throughout the internet. I don't have an answer, but I may as well list what I know in case someone knows better.

I vote for "Wan".

By the way, the official site says "Gitaroo-Man". (needs a hyphen)
https://www.gamecity.ne.jp/products/GITAROO-MAN/

4 (edited by boringhexi 2020-06-24 21:17:32)

fuzzball wrote:

By the way, the official site says "Gitaroo-Man". (needs a hyphen)
https://www.gamecity.ne.jp/products/GITAROO-MAN/

True, and you can also see it in the game's intro, even in the English version. (edit: and in the Collection screens, again even in the English version wtf)

I guess intuitively, though, I feel like "Gitaroo-Man" (or should I say, "GITAROO-MAN") isn't quite as official a romanization of ギタルマン as, say, "Pocket Monsters" is of ポケットモンスター. I guess mainly I see "Gitaroo-Man" in much earlier media like the pre-English-release Japanese website, while the official Japanese web site for the PSP re-release (here, way up top) makes no mention of the hyphenated name (instead referring to the English name, "Gitaroo Man Lives!"*).

Man one can really get deep into this kind of thing... tbh I have to be careful not to get too lost in relatively minor things like this, and in any case I'm content to leave it as-is if there's no consensus.

* Which is (sigh) another can of worms because the Japanese name of the PSP re-release, ライブ!, is clearly pronounced "Live" as in a live performance...

Gitaroo Pals Gitaroo Man hacking and appreciation Discord

5 (edited by Foxhack 2020-09-16 01:54:53)

It's "One."

https://www.gamecity.ne.jp/products/GIT … fo/one.htm

If it were "Wan" then the page would probably be named "wan.htm". Pretty sneaky. smile

I forgot to mention that this is the official answer.

Koei Tecmo Games User Support wrote:

お問い合わせいただいた件につきまして、発売から期間が経過しているため、確実な資料の確認には至りませんでした。
『ギタルマン ワン』につきましては、日本市場のみでのリリースであったため、おそらくですが、正式な英語のタイトル名は作成されていないものと推測されます。