Skip to forum content

Redump Forum

Disc Preservation Project

You are not logged in. Please login or register.

Post new reply

Post new reply

Compose and post your new reply

You may use: BBCode Images Smilies

All fields with bold label must be completed before the form is submitted.

Required information for guests

Captcha image. Turn pictures on to see it.
Required information

Topic review (newest first)

I'll cut to the chase.
I have two CD-RW Plextor drives from about 14 or so years ago.
I Initially bought a PX-W4824TA. Not long after that it stopped being able to erase CD-RWs. I applied for an RMA but stuff came up and I'm not sure how things went but basically I applied again and soon after a replacement appeared in my door without me having sent the first one to them. The replacement was a PX-W5224TA.
It occurred to me to erase a CD-RW with the new drive and feed it to the old one, and it turned out that it could still write to erased CD-RWs, but not erase them itself.
After that I pretty much stored the drives away for a long time. Now I've found out that the old one also can't erase CD-RWs, and now neither can write to erased ones either.
Also, i'd say their reading quality has decreased, but it may be that only reading CD-R/Ws is really affected and pressed discs are still read well. I'll need help diagnosing that.

The purpose of me writing is because I would like to perhaps send one or both your way if you think they can be brought back into shape.
If I sent just one, it would be for you to keep. If I sent both, the idea would be to receive one that worked well in return.
This is IF you see possibilities of getting them in good shape again.

I don't really have any discs to dump myself, so this is not an account request, but more like a hardware offer/deal.
My game collection is tiny. I have about a dozen GC games, which I dumped with my GC and match the discs already in the DB, and the same for a couple of PS1 discs. I have a couple of mainstream DC titles but no hardware to dump them with. I haven't checked if they are in the DB, but I suspect they are.

First I would need help diagnosing in just how good or bad a shape the drives are and what are possibilities of fixing them so that we can decide how to proceed.

Currently installed 6 official extensions. Copyright © 2003–2009 PunBB.